Guide to Guest Blogging
Guest blogging is still one of the most effective ways for one to build backlinks to their site and get traffic.
Finding Guest Post Targets
Using Google Search Strings
Below are several search strings you could use to find blogs or sites that accept guest posts.
- Your Keyword + intitle “guest post”
- Your Keyword + intitle “write for us”
- Your Keyword + intitle “guest article”
- Your Keyword + intitle “want to write for”
- Your Keyword + intitle “contribute to our site”
- Your Keyword + intitle “submit an article”
- Your Keyword + intitle “become a contributor”
- Your Keyword + intitle “guest posts wanted”
List High Quality Sites
In a spreadsheet, create a list of quality sites that accept guest posts for record purposes. To determine quality of the site, check Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA) using MOZ toolbar. Learn more about the MOZ toolbar on this post : How to Check your SEO Progress
After doing the search in Google
Include in your spreadsheet all sites with Domain Authority of 20 and above.
Other Factors to Consider
- Site should be related to your own site
- The site posts only high quality content
- Have significant amount of followers
Be sure to Read Guidelines
Sites differ on the guidelines they set for guest posts. This might be a boring task, but its pretty important that you follow the guidelines to have a better chance of getting your post on their site. This could also help you avoid wasting time and effort on a site that might not be able to accept your post in the very first place.
The guidelines page could also provide you with the topics the site is looking for on their guest posts and other useful information regarding the posts you have to create. This way, you could present the site owner the perfect guest post topic that you will write about.
Continue researching about your target and add potential sites to your list.
Creating the Pitch
Prior to creating the pitch it would be a good practice to somehow get on the radar of the site owner. This could be done in two ways.
First, engage with the site owners on Twitter. Second is to do blog commenting in several days interval for one week. Browse the site and pick a couple of posts that you really like, then leave an insightful comment. This would certainly get the site owner’s attention.
Going back to the pitch, here is an email template provided by Brian Dean at backlinko.com.
I’ recently became a reader of your site. You may have noticed my comment on your post on X (awesome article by the way).
I’m writing to you because I’d love to contribute a guest post to Example.com.
I’ve been brainstorming some topics that I think your readers would get a ton of value from:
I’ll make sure the piece overflows with information that can’t be found anywhere else.
To give you an idea of the quality I’ll bring to your site, here’s a link to one of my own favorite posts.
The good thing about this template is it’s simple, direct to the point and gives the site owner specific topics so its less work for them. Of course, you can always create your own email to make it more personal and customized. Simply use the template as your guide.
We would like to stress-out that before writing your post, be sure to read the guidelines. It would not be good if you already completed your article only to find out that you have not met some of the guidelines outined by the site owner.
After writing the post, doing the follow up is also a must. Below are tips on how to do this.
- Actively respond to comments – Its really sad to see a post with lots of comments, but you could not see any response from the writer. Be sure to show readers that you are happy to respond to questions or comments.
- Promote/Share the post on your social media channels – Use the power of social media to get your post to more readers. Since you surely have spent a lot of time to ensure the quality of your post, you could confidently share your post to anyone.
- Reach out to blog commenters – Watch out for outstanding blog commenters for most likely they own a site that could provide an opportunity for you to publish a post.