Career Opportunities for Online Marketing
The constant growth of digital technology led to the increasing number of online businesses. And in order to properly grow that business, it requires sufficient digital knowledge and skills. This is where online marketing comes in as online businesses could not anymore rely on traditional marketing and expect to fully achieve their goals.
What is online marketing
Online marketing is the process of using the internet in order to market a business. With this type of marketing, anyone could now present their business through computers, mobile phones and tablets. The demand for online marketing in almost any type of business led to the growth of employment opportunities in this field.
Career opportunities in Online Marketing can be grouped in 4 main areas: Acquiring, Converting, Retaining, Measurement and Optimization
- Search Engine Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Interactive Advertising
- Content Distribution RSS
- Online PR
- Social Media
- Customer Decision Support
- Promotions and Merchandizing
- Payment Options
- Onsite Search
- User Experience
- Customer Service
- Loyalty Programmes
- Dynamic Pricing
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
Measurement and Optimization
- Web Analytics
- Online Panels & Surveys
- Site Performance Monitoring
- Buzz & Brand Monitoring
- Multichannel Marketing
- Content Targeting
Gaining Work Experience
In order to land a job on these career opportunities, you need experience. There is no need to go to universities in order learn the skills needed to do online marketing. All information you need is provided online and most of these are free.
To gain experience, you can search for internship opportunities at digital marketing companies. This might be a bit challenging but with the right efforts, you’ll certainly find the company to work for.
Since there is a lot of competition in finding internship opportunities, why not go for the DIY option. You simply have to setup your own website and slowly build your online presence. With this, you will be learning firsthand the important skills needed for online marketing roles.
- Knowledge in the Digital Industry – Online marketers needs to be knowledgeable with what is going on in the digital industry. Keep yourself up to date with recent changes. Being updated also shows your enthusiasm for digital marketing.
- Writing Skills – Excellent writing skills is a must so you need to practice writing to hone that skill. Do this by populating your own website with articles. Be sure to constantly write something on your blog and after every publishing, you’re making yourself a better writer.
- Time Management – The same as any kind of job, online marketing also requires time management since you need to constantly improve your website, update social media profiles, reach out to people to grow your network and a lot more. Because you are managing your own website, you’ll definitely become better in time management sooner.
- Knowledge in Online Tools and Software – As you already own a site, you will eventually learn how to use online tools such as Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Moz Toolbar and a lot more. Some of the tools you will find might be expensive. You don’t have to purchase it, but you need to give it a try using their free trial option. The purpose is for you to gain experience in using the paid tool.
- use rss reader to subscribe to high authority sites in the online marketing industry
- check sites Mashable, Google Updates and Business Insider for useful and recent info
- be sure to follow these sites on twitter for daily updates
When you reach out to potential clients or companies for a work opportunity, employers would certainly do an online research about you. Thus, you need to have a professional online presence. You need to be able to demonstrate the scope of your knowledge through the social profiles you have. Start with creating a Facebook page.
Aside from social profiles, they will also discover your own website. So if you have maintained your site properly and the site is updated, it will surely be a big plus. Even without talking to you yet, they will see that you are a good writer, you have knowledge with social media for marketing, knows how to maintain a WordPress site and knowledgeable in the areas you were writing about in your blog. All of these increases your chance of getting the job you want.
Managing Online presence
- Google yourself – Be sure you are aware of what comes up when someone searches for your name. With this, you can make the necessary adjustments when something not good about you is found.
- Showcase work experience on Linkedin – Linkedin is the best social media site for professionals. Here, you can highlight current and previous work as well as the skills you have. Slowly build your network on linkedin as you meet and work with other people.
- Keep your own website updated – The best way to showcase your skills in online marketing is to constantly improve and upate your own site. You need to have a good website. What employers see on your site reflects you as an online marketer.
- Use Google Alerts – This free tool by Google helps you take action fast when you see a negative content about you or your site.